Re: A question?

2007-02-03 18:53:06
On Feb 3, 2007, at 3:17 PM, DR. Lee - NS1 wrote:

How about the message in the header saying "may be forged", is it safe
to filter it out?

Nope, for the same reasons as below.

Also I found in the subject line, it often contains the leading prefix
like

      AD:xxxx
      SPAM: Best buy .....

Is this some clever server put it for us to make filter easier?

I think it's there to test deliverability.
But yes, with stuff like that... I'd say, filter away.

Aloha mai Nai`a! wrote:

BTW, that means, "Love from the Dolphin" in Hawaiian.
It's my Nick, and the way I habitually sign on on almost all messages.

Now, the bigger question: Are you sure this is a good idea?
The 'unknown' means that either:

1) the reverse DNS doesn't exist, as in this case:

         $ host 125.180.77.87
     Host 87.77.180.125.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

2) or, that the forward and reverse DNS don't agree.

If you block, or even filter, based on that, you're gonna see false
positives.
Granted, it's a pretty good indicator that someone's not paying
attention to their DNS config, but...
You're gonna see False Positives.
Be ready for it.

Aloha mai Nai`a!