RE: Procmail for checking outgoing e-mail?

2007-02-04 06:55:01
Hi,

With the hint you guy offered, I am winning but....

The internal server is setup as queueonly. The incoming mails, collected
by fetchmail, and the outgoing mails are all temporary stored in the
mqueue. All the filter job are done at an external  smarthost which is
also under our control.

A cron job to move the good ones from mqueue to the clientmqueue once a
minute; it use a shell script to check the qf header and make neceesary
control on the outgoing e-mail. The incoming mail will simply be
delivered to a local account.

# The main command in the cron job that run once a few minutes
$SENDMAIL -Am -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/clientmqueue -q

The outgoing mail works fine but somehow the incoming mail that has been
delivered to a local account (mailkeeper) would not invoke the
.procmailrc to further distribute it.

Perhaps there is something wrong with the sendmail command line, please
help.

The .procmailrc is ok as I can check it with:

   procmail -t -m .procmailrc < /var/spool/mail/mailkeeper

And it will process one mail only. How can one ask the procmail to
process all mail and remove the mail entry in source as it is processed,
in the event I have to invoke procmail by a cron.

Rgds,
Kwang-Fuh Lee.

PS. When a mail is submitted, it goes to mqueue but I could not figure
out how to make sbumit daemon to automatically run a script to process
it and then submit to the SMTP for actual delivery. So I use the clumsy
method that is to set it queueonly and it looks work.

Sean B. Straw / Professional Software Engineering wrote:

You should examine the messages in the queue sometime.  If you do,
you'll
find that there are TWO files for each message.  One is strictly the
body
of the message, and the other contains status information plus the
headers
(whether locally originated, or relayed, or whatever) in an
MTA-specific
format.

You may want to investigate MILTERs, and you might consider filtering
when
the message is SUBMITTED, not when it is being sent (modern sendmail
installations have two sendmail daemons - an SMTP one and a local MSA).