Re: best way to edit a file from a procmail recipe

2007-03-09 09:16:44
Michelle Konzack wrote:

It works all in memory with pipes.

When you're altering the content of the message at hand, yes, but not
when you're editing a file already stored on the server.

You men from the headers?  --  The use:

:0fw
|formail -f ....

No, that's for altering the contents of the message at hand.

One stumbling block: I don't have shell access there and it would be a
problem to find out whether perl is even installed.

Install a procmailrecipe which check it for you...

:0fw
* ^Subject:.*\[PERL\-TEST\] PERL\-TEST
|formail -IX-PERL-TEST: `perl -v |head -n1`

Yes, I did that last weekend, after Don or Ruud or both told me about
perl's -v option.

Anyhow, the thing is working fine now; I decided to use ed and let the
system handle the temp files; if I did it, I could mess it up with a bad
edit of my rcfile.