Re: interface between programs and mail

2007-05-23 10:54:58
On 23-May-2007, at 09:14, Chirag Ravishankar wrote:
How does the interface between mail and a program work. For
example, if I
filter mail through spamassassin by using the command /usr/sbin/
spamc how
does that executable take the mail and scan it for spam?

There are a couple of ways this can work.

1) your MTA (postfix, sendmail, cyrus, qmail, etc) has a command to
pass mail to spamc and wait for a result.

2) your LDA (postfix) has a recipe/filter/rule that passes the mail
to spamc and waits for a result.

Is it written in C code?

Most of SpamAssassin is written in perl.

If I want to write my own program for example taking the image
attached and adding a frame to it, how should I write the interface
with the email??

er.. are you a beginning programmer?  There's a lot of ways to do it,
but mostly, unless you need something like a socket, your program
would take as input what was passed to it.

--
Well I've seen the Heart of Darkness/Read the writing on the wall/and
the voice out in the desert/Was the voice out in the hall