RE: autorespond recipe

2007-05-26 12:10:25
Bart Schaefer wrote on Saturday, May 26, 2007 7:52 PM:

On 5/26/07, Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com> wrote:

Oh: this will only *quote* MIME-encoding of attachments.
It will be very ugly.  Obviously, if you really want to
send the entire body back with attachments, you need to
do things a bit differently -- especially if the body is
not plaintext.

http://www.well.com/user/barts/email/mimewrap.txt

Handles automatically increasing LINEBUF and turns the entire
original message into a message/rfc822 attachment.

Interesting.  I was just thinking one could simply
rewrite the headers and introduce a blank line and the
message text; then, when the header and body were
reattached, the stuff after the blank line would become
the top of the body.  I was thinking one could write
a MIME header similarly to what you did.

Dallman's response-addressing code is good (except maybe for
a missing close-brace?), so the whole thing would look like:

[snip]

  INCLUDERC=mimewrap.txt

  NEWFROM = "mynewfrom(_at_)address"

  :0 fw
  | formail -rkp "> "                    \
            -A "Precedence: junk"        \
            -A "X-Loop: $NEWFROM"        \
            -i "Reply-To: $NEWFROM"      \
            -i "Return-Path: $NEWFROM"   \
            -i "Sender: $NEWFROM"        \
            -i "From: $NEWFROM"          \
            -i "Subject: Auto-Reply"

Yes, except my "formail -k" quotes the body, so since
you already have your MESSAGETEXT in the body, it,
too, will now get quoted.  I think in this case
we don't want to use any quote char at all, so:

formail -rkp ""

You're right that I left the closing brace off.  Thanks.

Dallman