RE: Maintain a "carbon copy" for certain threads in mailing lists

2007-07-20 02:12:40
Eugeny N Dzhurinsky wrote Friday, July 20, 2007 9:25 AM:

[He previously asked:]

I would like to have a carbon copies of all e-mails posted
to certain threads or as replies to my emails posted into
mailing list, sent to my inbox as well.

[To which someone replied:]

  man procmailex
     search for "copy"

Actually the main question is how to track if the message
belongs to thread, I thought in this way:

When some message arrives to mailing list and it's from address
matches my address, I extract the Message-ID from the message
and remember it somewhere

May I humbly suggest it would be useful to ask what you want
to know the first time, and not some other question?  :-)
Just thinking your question to yourself while asking a different
one is not all that likely to result in useful answers.

What you want is a standard, supported feature of formail,
which comes with the procmail package.  See the formail man
page and look for the "D" switch to see about setting up
Message-ID caches.

There are examples in "man procmailex" about using this to do
what you want.

Specifically, this snippet from the procmailex page would be
close to what you want:

              :0 Whc: msgid.lock
              | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

              :0 a:
              duplicates

Instead of filing "duplicates," you would send those to your
cc address or folder for that list.

Regards,
Dallman Ross