Re: trashmail

2007-08-29 14:47:37
At 04:34 2007-08-30 +0800, jidanni(_at_)jidanni(_dot_)org wrote:
No big deal but I notice mails sent to this list seemingly require
confirmations, probably actually due to one subscriber.

Likely.  I haven't seen any of that lately myself, but perhaps their crap
is getting caught by my crap filter.  Nope, no contacts to/from in my
maillogs this week.

If you run your own mail server, you can always set it up to reject mail
from trashmail.net with a specific message.  Yea, that doesn't stop their
crap from harrassing some other user, but by now, one would think more
outfits would have clued in that the "confirm you're a real person" stuff
doesn't work - sure, it cuts way down on spam, but I can assure you, it
cuts way down on legitimate email as well - I for one DO NOT fart with
those interfaces - and I usually get accosted by them when I'm replying to
some unsolicited call from help from someone who wants me to expend my time
looking into their problem for free.  Waste the time to compose a reply,
and it gets met with this crap - after THEIR USER MAILED ME.  fsck 'em.

You might try sending your message to abuse(_at_)trashmail(_dot_)net instead,
not that
you should expect a reply.

Makes me think I should look to set up a sendmail configuration to redirect
any mail for a known trashmail.net mail host to the ether just to ward off
this potential problem.