Re: handling mail for users on vacation

2007-12-13 15:07:10
* Troy Piggins is quoted & my replies are inline below :
(I'm not talking about auto-responses that reply to the sender saying "so and
so is on holidays until ...")

When staff go on holidays, to date I have set up a procmail rule that
forwards their mail to a designated user who will handle their correspondence
while they're away.  It's been pretty much manually applying the rule when
they leave and manually removing it when they get back.

Does anyone have a little more automatic method/workflow of doing it?  A
script?  I was thinking something that takes the username, start holiday
date, end holiday date, and designated username.  How do you get it to expire
when they're back?  Cronjobs?

Just after sending this I had an idea.  I could set up a cronjob, or an "at"
task, that sets a variable, say $ON_HOLS, to "yes" or something and another
variable, say $FWD_TO_ME, to the designated username.  Then in the global
procmailrc have a rule that checks if $ON_HOLS is "yes" and if it is, forward
to $FWD_TO_ME.

What do you think?  Better way?

--
Troy Piggins | http://piggo.com/~troy
RLU#415538                                                      ,-O   (o-    O