Re: lock file to write cache with formail is not working

2008-01-29 13:44:09
On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 11:54:12 AM -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
On Jan 29, 2008 10:02 AM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti(_at_)nexaima(_dot_)net>
wrote:
The problem I have is that ignore.cache is corrupted, that is it seems
partially overwritten every time like if the lock wasn't working:

#>  more ignore.cache

You can't examine this cache with "more".  It's not a text file.  It's
a file of densly-packed C strings, each terminated with a '\0' (nul)
byte.  And it's partially overwritten each time by design, as part of
maintaining the limited cache size.

If you must look at it, use "strings ignore.cache | more" or the like.

excellent point, sorry I forgot the nature of the cache file. If I
look at it with strings I only get correct headers. The question is,
why does grep work in those recipes, then? Isn't it confused just as
"more" is?

The most likely thing you need to do is increase the size of the cache
in this line:

| formail -D 131072 ignore.cache

I'm testing this now.

Last but not least, do I take this to mean that the second recipe file is
correct? its only purpose is to add the MSGID of the message passed to procmail
to ignore.cache)

Thanks,
Marco