missing line in inbox

2008-02-27 21:45:44
I'm running procmail 3.22 and alpine 1.0 on ubuntu 7.10.

I bring in email with fetchmail and send it to procmail with this line
in ,fetchmailrc:  mda "/usr/bin/procmail". The procmail log verifies it
was received and /var/mail/holtzm contains the messages. The problem is
that Alpine won't open the inbox. It gives the error message:

"can't open inbox (file /var/mail/holtzm) not in valid folder format"

/var/mail/holtzm is an Alpine generated flat file:

-rw-rw---- 1 holtzm mail 28740 2008-02-27 09:58 holtzm

I'm told by an individual on the alpine team that the first line in this
file should be "from ". The first few lines in the file are;

         by holtzm-desktop with POP3 (fetchmail-6.3.8)
         for <holtzm(_at_)localhost> (single-drop); Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:58:53
-0700 (MST)

Notice the absence of "from ". What I'm not sure of is whether the
initial "from " line is written by procmail or alpine. I tried deleting
inbox ind letting alpine regenerate it with no luck. I thought it might
be a sendmail problem but when I looked at it's conf file I about had
the vapors! It' daunting.

If anyone has any thoughts, advice, pointers or flames I'd appreciate
hearing them.

Thanks in advance.