Need direction to debug procmail

2008-03-03 08:00:00
Im having a little problem I think procmail is responsible for.
Everynight on most of our servers we run a lot of cron jobs
for a whole range of tasks..

But one of them always hang when CRON try to send out
an email detailing what the ob did. All the other jobs
send their email correctly.. only 1 job does not..
in the process list you can see that CRON launched
a CRON job and that that job launched a sendmail
process which itself launched a procmail process
and that procmail process hang..

The actual job doesn`t send an email, its really CRON
who sens the email.

Can someone point me out to something I can check out
to find out why does procmail hang on this job.

Also, we run this job on many servers and it hang on 4 of them
each night. We get a defunc process we need to kill.

Its really not that bad, but I`d like to stop having to kill
4 process each morning.. im lazy!

If anyone also know how CRON send its email it might help.
I mean does it wait for the job to complete while keeping
logs in a temp file, or does it fire up procmail at start and
send to procmail its output one line at a time.

The job which poses a problem is a long job..

Ok so here are some other info about the system.
We uses SLES9 (Suse enterprise server 9)
Procmail is of version 3.22

Thank to everyone in advance
Also even if you dont have a answer I`d gladly take any insight.

Have a good day.

Pour rejoindre l'équipe Linux de façon efficace, SVP envoyez un courriel à
l'adresse: GD01-Linux (sans "@promutuel.ca" à la fin)

P Est-ce nécessaire d'imprimer ce message?

Patrick Ouellet
Admin. Système Linux, Équipe Linux
Direction Technologie
Groupe Promutuel

418 683-1187, poste 2393
1 800 510-4630, poste 2393

promutuel.ca <http://www.promutuel.ca/>

Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce message, veuillez le détruire après
avoir informé l'expéditeur de son erreur. Par ailleurs, il est interdit de
copier ou de modifier tout courriel sans l'autorisation de l'auteur. Promutuel
n'assume aucune responsabilité à l'égard du contenu des messages personnels
envoyés par ses employés.