Re: Help with broken procmail[rc]

2008-06-16 13:04:34
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
The heart of my script:
:0:
* ^Subject:.*bad thing to catch 1*
$HOME/SPAM

This really looks like you've "simplified" to post, and in the process you
may have wiped out traces fo the coding error that we might spot. Please
post the original rc file.

I have NO root access on the host.  Procmail now simply delivers
everything to that last Folder variable.

Please clarify: ALL mail, not just the 'German spam' is going to
that folder? You might try to see what is in the root /etc/procmailrc.

I tried using that German email again (just by chance) before writing this
to run some spam tests.  This time, Folder: assigned itself to the test
conditional I provided....

This sounds a lot like the e-mail was 'quoted printable' or had some other
encoding that was resolved by your mail client and so not 'visible' as the
problem in that e-mail. So yes, it would behave differently to try and
send a quoted version to yourself.

A big clue here is that a file/folder was named with your user-id. This
would seem to suggest that a piece of code in the rcfile is 'broken'.
Perhaps someone (if not you, then at system level) has used a shell
function to examine mail, and the spam includes a back-tick?

- Charles