Re: From header format....

2008-06-25 12:33:15
At 18:27 2008-06-24 +0100, N.J. Mann wrote:
[kersnip]
There is more, but basically it says there may be more than one
address.

Importantly though, it specified that IF that is the case, then the message MUST have a Sender: field. The idea is that the From: specified message authorship (think of a technical paper), and the Sender: specified the INDIVIDUAL party who actually put it into an email and sent it (aka administrative assistant, though it could be one of the addresses in From:).

While technically correct, I'd say your chances of actually encountering such a message these days is remote to the n-th power. Email is a very different beast than it was 20+ years ago.

(gawd, and I was using it 20+ years ago...)

Some procmail pseudo-code for ya:

:0
* MULTIPLE_FROM
* ^Sender:
SPAM

What method are you using to parse out addresses from the From: ?