Problems with whitespace characters in procmail

2008-10-01 20:22:11
I want to use printf to use octal or hex characters to avoid ambiguity
in a whitespace character class inside a procmailrc, but the following
rule is not triggering:

    #SPC_CHAR=`printf \\\\040`
    #TAB_CHAR=`printf \\\\011`
    SPC_CHAR=`printf \\\\x20`
    TAB_CHAR=`printf \\\\x9`
    WHITESPACE="[${SPC_CHAR}${TAB_CHAR}]"
    :0
    * ^Subject: Foo${WHITESPACE}bar
    {
        :0fW
        |formail -I "X-Local-Fubar: ${WHITESPACE}"

        :0:
        $DEFAULT
    }

If I don't try to match against WHITESPACE in the recipe, then the
character class appears to be passed along to formail just fine. What am
I doing wrong here?

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
        -- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"