Re: Problems with whitespace characters in procmail

2008-10-02 11:57:27
On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 03:40:03AM +0200, Dallman Ross wrote:

I know you solved your problem meanwhile.  I simply want to comment on
this part, though.  Why not just:

Because if people copy-and-paste (from a web page, for example), tab and
space characters aren't always properly preserved. With printf, there's
no ambiguity at all. Of course, the call to printf comes at the cost of
spawning another process each time procmail is invoked, but you'd have
to be processing a LOT of email for it to create a significant
performance hit over and above what you'd get from running procmail
itself.

If that really matters, then of course the literal characters are going
to be more efficient. As always, it depends on what you're optimizing
for. :)

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
        -- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"