Re: Formail /"mail" will not send mail out

2008-10-10 10:26:57
Hi Sean,

Professional Software Engineering schrieb:
Did anything change about the user account for which procmail is running? Is mail processed by a separate HOST from the one on which your user shell is?
Yes, there might be changes regarding the account, because ISPConfig has a different File/Foldertree as Webmin. I'm not sure which chown/chmod rights I need when procmail is processing the mail with "external" programs like formail and mail.
Everything is processed on the same host.

formail is a procmail component which extracts and manipulates message headers. It doesn't _send_ (or for that matter _receive_) messages.
Yes i know, sorry for that misunderstanding. With "mail" I mean the program "/usr/bin/mail".
Generally, there should be no reason to futz with ORGMAIL. The only time it should be used is when there's a problem delivering to the specified mailboxes, and then you REALLY do want to have this go somewhere else (like, to a different filesystem, which /var/ frequently is on) whenever possible, else the messages will bounce.
OK, I've taken it from the old ISPConfig file.
VERBOSE=9
No doubt, this doesn't mean what you think it does. Please check 'man procmailrc'
That was only for, to see a little bit more in the logfile.
* ^Subject:(.*\<)\/[^ ].*
{
  SUB=$MATCH
}

:0c
| formail -r -A "Subject:.*Anrufbeantworter" | mail -s "$SUB" number(_at_)t-mobile-sms(_dot_)de
:0

Why do you have formail append a subject header if you're going to turn around and specify a subject to mail ?
Good question, I have taken it a long time ago from another help where I find this script (and with ISPConfig, the script helped me :-(( )

What is your shell set to for this user account?
/bin/false
It (they) are all virtual accounts.

Also, you might try:

| ( formail -r -A "Subject:.*Anrufbeantworter" | mail -s "$SUB" number(_at_)t-mobile-sms(_dot_)de )

(note added parens around the pair of shell commands)
That doesn't help.
FTR, as invoked, that formail will discard the body of the message.
That't OK for me, I only need the Subject to be < 160 digits/letters in the SMS.
Create some OTHER shell script instead of mail which you would invoke:

mailtest.sh
#!/bin/sh
echo parameters: $@ >> $HOME/mailtest.log
cat - >> $HOME/mailtest.log

set +x on it, and invoke THAT instead of mail from your rcfile, and run your tests. Inspect the mailtest.log file
The script only works, when I delete the formail part in front.

This will not work:
:0c
| formail -r -A "Subject:.*Anrufbeantworter" | /usr/local/bin/mailtest.sh

This generates the logfile:

:0c
| /usr/local/bin/mailtest.sh

Kind regards,