Re: procmail Digest, Vol 69, Issue 13

2008-10-14 21:55:38
If you have control over your mail server, you can try the ideas given on page: http://www.postfix.org/BACKSCATTER_README.html. If you are not using postfix, you can adapt it to whatever mail server you are using. If you do not control your mail server, some of the ideas on that page can be adapted to procmail recipes.

Although I understand that you want to punish the offending backscatter server(s), I don't recommend you send the backscatter back. In my opinion, automatic return of any email should done very cautiously or not at all. It is a good way to produce backscatter.

However, email can and should be *bounced* (refused) based on email header analysis and techniques like greylisting. That is the realm of the MTA, not procmail.

Lloyd Standish