Re: Mailchain optimisation [Long and possibly OT]

2009-06-02 14:11:57
Arthur Dent wrote:

<> > If the host on a static (fixed, unchanging) IP, or dynamic?  If it's
<> > static, there's a lot you can to to improve things, esp for the vanity
<> > domain - your other domains would still be fetchmailed.
<>
<> I am on a dynamic IP (it changes only - roughly - every 3 months however).

Again, it depends on whether demon.co.uk will provide a DNS MX record
for myvanitydomain.demon.co.uk, but if they do, then you can use one
of the DNS providers like dyndns.org to provide an address record to
point the MX to.  Eg.,

  % host -t mx myvanitydomain.demon.co.uk
  myvanitydomain.demon.co.uk mail is handled by 10 myvanitydomain.dyndns.org
  % host myvanitydomain.dyndns.org
  myvanitydomain.dyndns.org has address AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD

(Mild handwaving on how the IP address gets submitted to DynDNS when
it changes owing to details such as "are you using a firewall/NAT
router on the connection" etc.)

I'll note that the demon.co.uk (demon.net) FAQ pages specify that:

  Can I direct my mail to somewhere other than the RaQ?

  You are free to point (or have us point) your primary MX record(s)
  at a mail server of your choosing [...]

http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/producthelp/serverhosting/faq/tech-domain.html#idirect

<> # sendmail -bv joebloggs(_at_)mydomian(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk
<> joebloggs(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)
deliverable: mailer esmtp, host
<> mydomain.demon.co.uk, user
joebloggs(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk
[...]
<> Now should the address joebloggs@ etc. not show as being deliverable to user
<> "son" as it is set in virtusertable?

Unless you have the "mydomain.demon.co.uk" domain listed as a local
domain in your sendmail config file -- either in the line that starts
"Cw" or in the filre referenced in "Fw" (usually /etc/mail/sendmail.cw)
then the virtusertab for that domain won't get referenced.

R A Lichtensteiger      rali(_at_)tifosi(_dot_)com

 "Humans are incapable of securely storing high-quality cryptographic keys,
  and they have unacceptable speed and accuracy when performing cryptographic
  operations. (They are also large, expensive to maintain, difficult to manage,
  and they pollute the environment. It is astonishing that these devices
  continue to be manufactured and deployed. But they are sufficiently pervasive
  that we must design our protocols around their limitations.)"
        - Network Security: PRIVATE Communication in a PUBLIC World
          Charlie Kaufman, Radia Perlman and Mike Speciner