Re: Mailchain optimisation [Long and possibly OT]

2009-06-02 15:52:06
On Tue, 02 Jun 2009, Arthur Dent wrote:

I don't use demon, so I've no idea if they permit you to have an MX in
the chain.  Basically though, if your home server is on a static IP, you
set it up to handle mail for vanitydomain.demon.co.uk, and set up the
individual virtual users, and perhaps initially, a catch-all (until you
clean things up), then request demon to make DNS changes to set your home
server up as the primary MX for that host, and their mail server to be
the backup MX.  When a message comes along for you, it'll try to deliver
to your home machine first, and if it's not accessible for some reason,
it'll go to the backup MX at demon, and periodically, they'll try to send
it along to the primary (your home server).

As far as I can tell I don't think I can do this. I have not yet given up
looking into it, but I am thinking about moving away from Demon anyway. I
signed up with Demon sometime in the 1980's - they were my dial-up provider
and allowed my first forays into the Interweb. I was seduced by the "infinite
number of email addresses" when other ISPs were only offering 5 email
addresses. I keep the account mainly because business contacts - some from
years ago - still pop up as this will be the only address they have for me. As
time goes on this happens less and less and I feel more confident about
closing it down. As I no longer need the account to access the Internet I am
paying £10 a month for email...

When we used Demon for our company several years ago, we had an MX
record set up that pointed to our company email server, with a back-up
pointing to the parent company's US one instead. Unless they've
downgraded their services, I'd expect them to continue to offer it.
It'll probably cost though.

cheers,
Adam

"...one cannot be angry when looks at a penguin."
                                      - John Ruskin