Re: Problem with Procmail and losing Messages

2009-08-30 13:11:34
On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Professional Software Engineering <
PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org> wrote:

At 06:29 2009-08-30 -0700, Lance Robertson wrote:

# If the NFROM is INVALIDFROM then handle incrementing the spammer count
:0fw
* ? $GREP -i ^$NFROM$ $INVALIDFROM
| /home/lrzone/logspam.pl

Uhm, what foes LOGSPAM _DO_ with the message?  Here, you're likely
CONSUMING THE ENTIRE MESSAGE and leaving a NULL message for procmail to
handle.  Try changing the 'f' to 'c' on the flags on this recipe if you're
not intending to change the message by filtering.

# If the NFROM is INVALIDFROM then handle putting it in the correct email
box
:0:$HOME/.invalidfromlock
* ? $GREP -i ^$NFROM$ $INVALIDFROM
$HOME/mail/INVALIDFROM

Q: why are you putting the lockfile in a directory which differs from the
mailbox location?  This is normally done only when you can't actually create
files in the target dir (such as in the system mailspool)

 Logspam.pl is a script that increments a database table to indicate a
message was received as spam. The messages aren't always being comsumed just
sometimes but I will definitely look into this. I think the prior message
with combining everything will be very helpful in this.

I had changed the lockfile a ways back when someone suggested that maybe
mail was coming in too fast and lockfiles weren't being released fast enough
and that was possibly leading to my problem of some messages never making it
to the mail file but it didn't solve the problem and I never reverted the
code back to it's original of using the default lock file.

Lance