Re: executing a shell command

2009-09-04 14:55:09
At 14:18 2009-09-04 -0500, Davy Leon wrote:
sendmail special(_at_)example(_dot_)com < /var/log/messages

response:    /var/log/messages: Permission denied

You do understand the concept of file access permissions in Unix, right?

Does the user you're involking this as have permission to access the logfile in question? Commonly, you'd need to be a member of the root or wheel group, but check the perms on the file.