Re: Vacation

2009-11-17 04:21:52
Professional Software Engineering wrote:
At 20:01 2009-11-16 -0500, R A Lichtensteiger wrote:
  :0 Whc: vacation.lock         # Put the email address in a cache file
  | formail -rD 8192 $PROCS/.vacation.cache

  :0 ehc
  [insert sending recipe here]

formail's barely documented trick of caching from_ addresses instead
of Message-IDs.

That may be so, but it doesn't appear to actively do anything to avoid
sending vacation messages to LISTS.

Very true.  I was pointing out an alternative way to cache sender
addresses that takes less effort and fits how things are cached in
procmail/formail already.

Filtering out list addresses is obvious and in your earlier recipe, so
I didn't bother.  If we're grading on completeness of the response:

  http://www.tifosi.com/rali/Procmail/vacation.rc

(the multiple echos are ass and I would probably cat a file through sed
 to set the variable parts of the message if I were to write the script
 again.)

I prefer to determine what address I'm supposed to be sending the message
to and using THAT address to determine if I've already sent a message to
it.  the from_ address isn't necessarily the same address to which a reply
will go.

Clearly.  But it (will|ought to) be consistent for any sender x(_at_)y(_dot_)z
It seems ... more straightforward ... to ask "have I seen this sender
before?" than to ask "have I sent my vacation announcement to this
address?" but to each his own.

Reto
--
R A Lichtensteiger      rali(_at_)tifosi(_dot_)com

        "If you go through the pearly gates backwards in a fireball,
         that's a cool way to die"
                                - Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear