Renamed bogus "/dev/null" into "/dev/BOGUS.blabla.ZbPjC"

2010-07-31 01:56:07
According to the docs,

"If  /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME  is a bogus mailbox (i.e., does not belong
to the recipient, is unwritable, is a symbolic link or is a hard link),
procmail  will  upon startup try to rename it into a file starting with
`BOGUS.$LOGNAME.' and ending in an inode-sequence-code."

In my case, if procmail tries to deliver mail to a user with
home /dev/null (and shell similar to /bin/false), it can't since that
user obviously doesn't have a mailbox, nor do I have a /var/spool/mail.
I suppose this might be seen as a problem on my end, and I "fixed" it
by creating a postfix alias from that user to a real one, but the my
main issue is that it renames /dev/null!?! Surely that shouldn't be
allowed. Perhaps a check should be made to make sure it's a regular
file/directory?

(And, in such extreme circumstances, can't it dump the email to
dead.letter somewhere?)