Re: Renamed bogus "/dev/null" into "/dev/BOGUS.blabla.ZbPjC"

2010-07-31 15:11:39
On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Dennis Nezic
<dennisn(_at_)dennisn(_dot_)dyndns(_dot_)org> wrote:

In my case, if procmail tries to deliver mail to a user with
home /dev/null (and shell similar to /bin/false), it can't since that
user obviously doesn't have a mailbox, nor do I have a /var/spool/mail.
I suppose this might be seen as a problem on my end, and I "fixed" it
by creating a postfix alias from that user to a real one, but the my
main issue is that it renames /dev/null!?! Surely that shouldn't be
allowed.

Not a bad point, but unlikely to get fixed because no one is doing
active procmail development at this time.

However, the fact that /dev/null is getting renamed indicates to me
that you've got something in your procmail configuration that points
to /dev/null when it should not.  Unless you've accidentally
misconfigured it, procmail should not be attempting to deliver mail at
a time when it has sufficient privileges to rename /dev/null.

My guess is that (1) you've assigned DEFAULT=/dev/null somewhere in
/etc/procmailrc, and (2) you have a delivering recipe in
/etc/procmailrc, but do not have a DROPPRIVS assignment preceding that
recipe.