Re: procmail abandonded?

2010-10-14 11:04:19
        Actually, yes.

        There are work arounds, but quoting the Spambouncer site:

Certain releases of Procmail 3.22 have the so-called "recipe header flag nbug". This bug causes Procmail to ignore all but the first set of recipe header flags during a nsingle Procmail session. (Procmail gets "stuck" and assumes that all subsequent recipes use the nsame set of header flags as the first recipe.) This bug results in false positives (non-spam nbeing flagged as spam), false negatives (spam being flagged as non-spam), and a bunch of outright nwierd behavior in the SpamBouncer and most other Procmail recipes.

Fortunately, it is possible to write Procmail recipes that this version nof Procmail will process correctly. These recipes are a little bulkier and run a little slower nthan standard Procmail recipes, so most users whose systems are not running a buggy version of Procmail n3.22 do not want to get the "Procmail 3.22 fix" version of the SpamBouncer. Users whose nsystems are running a buggy release of Procmail 3.22 MUST use the bug-fix version if they do not want to have all sorts of serious problems.

Even if there were no bugs, the fact that there have been no updates to the program in the past 10 years, a period in which the storage and memory have fallen by several orders of magnitude, would imply that this is in fact an orphaned product.

--
Matthew G. Saroff
Owings Mills, MD