Re: Issue forwarding emails with procmail

2010-11-01 21:33:10
On Nov 1, 2010, at 5:54 PM, Roberto S. G. wrote:

Hi Michael,
You're probably right! :

When I use sendmail's ".forward", "Return-Path" points to the sender,
but using procmail, somehow, astonishingly, irremediably, "Return-Path"
points ALWAYS to the user from where I forward the mail...
No matter what headers I inject with formail (-I, -i, -A ... ???), and
no matter if I use "!"  or "| $SENDMAIL", that dammit header line has
always the same INCORRECT value, overwriting the one I inject!!!
I'm totally desperated!

It's not the HEADER you need to worry about.
You're confuzzing RFC 821 with RFC 822.
You need to change what Sendmail (or Postfix) uses as the MAIL FROM value.

It's not a header.

:0 fhw
| formail -I "Return-Path: $RETURN_PATH"
#| formail -i "Return-Path: $RETURN_PATH"

:0
| $SENDMAIL

$SENDMAILFLAGS   <--

`cat $FORWARD_FILE`
#! `cat $FORWARD_FILE`

I'm beginning to suspect that procmail has an incorrect concept about
forwarding...
???

Yes, it's busted.
Or at the very least, doesn't do the best thing by default.

Aloha,
Michael.
--
"Please have your Internet License             http://kapu.net/~mjwise/