Re: Use different smtp server with procmail

2010-11-23 07:04:11
On 22/11/10 18.35, Professional Software Engineering wrote:
At 09:04 2010-11-22, Raffaele wrote:
different host, but I do not want procmail to use the sendmail
configuration of the system where is my account (*).
I just need to say procmail to use a different smtp server. Do you
know any way to do that?

You'd need to have a helper app that speaks SMTP, then change the
$SENDMAIL and $SENDMAILFLAGS definitions to point to that. If you use
certain external tools which themselves might generate an email, all
bets are off.

There are a number of tools which can relay messages to a remote server
- some (such as ssmtp) presume to be a daemon running on the local host,
which may not work very well for you, though you could probably
recompile with new config-file paths, etc - but it'd likely require a
bit of work. There's the Perl Net::SMTP module, which would allow you to
draft something up to act as a submission relay. smtpsend
<http://freshmeat.net/projects/smtpsend/> is based on Net::SMTP, and is
probably the most consise tool for what you want to accomplish.
Hi Sean,
thanks a lot for your answer and your suggestions. I'll try to use sendmail app on the server using a different configuration file (sendmail -C option) and see what happens.

Thanks again,
Raffaele