Re: how exactly is INCLUDERC handled?

2011-01-14 12:52:16
At 10:06 2011-01-14, Bart Schaefer wrote:
The point, however, is that unlike (say) perl, the entire file is not
compiled before interpretation begins.

Another way of putting this for the non-programmer types is that you can have a glaring syntax failure somewhere in your procmailrc, but so long as the execution never reaches that point, you'll never be made aware of it. In a compiled environment, the program isn't executed until the language syntax validates (you can still have buffer overruns, etc, but those are runtime failures, not language syntax).

The parse-as-you-go nature of procmail is in many ways a stumbling block, but at the same time, it also allows people to create includerc's on the fly.