Re: how exactly is INCLUDERC handled?

2011-01-14 18:34:08
On Jan 14, 2011, at 11:06 AM, Bart Schaefer
<barton(_dot_)schaefer(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Obviously it's parsed and "executed," otherwise there would be no
syntax rules and nothing would ever happen.

I would not call that executed. The file is read, line by line, and each line
is interpreted. To me, executed implies a binary file or a executable script
that can run "on its own" Parsing means preloading the file and, well, parsing
it.

The execution is by
interpreter, not direct machine instructions, but it does execute.

The interpreter executes and interprets the file. However, this is just
semantics.

The point, however, is that unlike (say) perl, the entire file is not
compiled before interpretation begins.

Or even preloaded and parsed like a perl script can be, or php, python, &c

All I was trying to make clear is that a procmailrc is just read line-by-line
until delivery or EOF