Re: How to use Procmail to remove messages from server after x numberof days

2011-03-01 12:02:23
At 09:50 2011-03-01, Alan Clifford wrote:
I do it. Not on my system mailbox but on the mailboxes for mails such as this mailing list which procmail has put in ~/mail/IN.procmail. Essentially, it deletes stuff that is more than 'n' days old and keeps the younger stuff.

It is rather a monster kludge involving cron, bash script, formail,
procmail and lockfile.

If you just move the messages into dated subdirectories, you don't have to reprocess anything. The downside is that exchanged rarely wrap up within the confines of an arbitrary date cutoff, so you've got exchanges in last months (or weeks) archive, and they continue into the current one. But then, lots of stuff doesn't wrap up in 7-10 days either.