Re: filtering UCE with Received: and From: analysis

2012-07-26 10:33:01
At 05:15 2012-07-26, Eric Smith wrote:
Has anyone devised a recipe for checking to see if there is some
match between the Received: header(s) and the From: and From
headers?

Well, pretty universally, From: and From_ won't match on _list_ messages, and increasingly with auto bounce handling and such, even if the List identifies itself as the From: (say, a digest), versus merely the Sender:, the From: may have an encoded version of the recipient's address in it, possibly with a specific transaction code (allowing the list mailsystem to deal with the wide variety of bounce formats by just homing in on the address the message bounced to).

What sort of correlation are you expecting to find between the From: and a Received: header? Perhaps you could lay out a set of expected correlations and ask how to actually check for them.