Re: need a sane approach to MIME attachment organization

2012-10-21 02:21:26
Mike's unattended mail spake on Saturday 20-Oct-2012@06:09:58
I find it very sloppy that people send files attached to email, and
I've always been disturbed that the available tools organize them
poorly.

When an email arrives with an attachment, sometimes the attachment
should be deleted but not the message, or vice-versa.  So it does not
make sense to have files embedded inseperably with a message.  Nor
does it make sense to have multiple copies (one in the email, and the
other saved separately).

What do expert procmail users do?

Leave the messages intact. If we need the attachment elsewhere, that becomes a
new file. This specific issue is why I moved from Eudora, since it strips
attachments from messages (and does a few other Bad Things as well).

All files should probably be extracted as messages arrive,

I vehemently disagree. All mail that is accepted for delivery has to be
delivered intact. The only case in which I could see stripping attachments
might be when delivering to a mailing list where it might be preferable to put
the file somewhere and link to it so that the entire list isn't forced to
receive it. Even in that case, I would be more likely to simply limit
attachment size.

Seems like a job for procmail.

MIME and procmail go together about as well as fish fingers and banana custard.

--
In other news, Gandalf died. -- Secret Diary of Boromir