Re: Extract last email from an email file (mbox format)

2016-05-26 19:24:01
I do not want to process all the emails. I still wonder if I can just
process the last without going through every single one before the
last. The tac solutions above or tail solutions are more efficient but
the formail is more safe. ...

No, it's not.  They'll both find the same message boundaries.

Searching for '^From ' (which is not the same as From:) is how formail
and every other mbox processing program finds message boundaries.  It's
what the boundaries are.  Either the "tac" script or the similar tail -r
script I sent will work fine.

R's,
John