Re: Extract last email from an email file (mbox format)

2016-05-29 15:11:38
On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 5:35 AM, udi M
<uuddii(_at_)eng(_dot_)tau(_dot_)ac(_dot_)il> wrote:

On 27/05/16 22:45, Xu Wang wrote:

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Zhiliang Hu
<hu(_at_)animalgenome(_dot_)org> wrote:

On Thu, 26 May 2016, Xu Wang wrote:

Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 21:03:15 -0400
From: Xu Wang <xuwang762(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
Subject: Re: Extract last email from an email file (mbox format)

Hello, this is....
From: will this be matched?

 From how about this one?

---------------------------------end last message

So this is why I am not sure matching regex with "^From " is safe. It
will also match in the body.

As a tradition, when a mail is saved into mbox format, any leading "From"
line is prefixed with ">" as in your example.

I see, so mutt must not be using mbox format then because it does not do
that.

You could use 'H' or 'h' flag in your little rc file to check headers
only.

What would be the full contents of little rc in this case?

I do not know what  Zhiliang  means, but,  I am afraid that you
did not check my last suggestion:  By using formail(1) + tee(1)
you do not need any rc file !

Do only one simple command:

    formail  -s  tee oneMessageOnly < theBigBox

1.   formail  works only on the headers (was dsiged for)

Agreed.

2.   It will not create a big directory !

Agreed.

3.   It is fast.

Unfortunately not for me.

time formail  -s  tee oneMessageOnly < theBigBox

real 0m24.019s
user 0m3.376s
sys 0m4.484s

As mentioned, my file is huge:
$ wc -l theBigBox
2171183 theBigBox

And it will get huger. THe main thing though is I would like to
eventually make my script open source and help others and want to
allow them to have huge files as well.

I would like use this in script and use it often so 24 seconds is too
much for me.

Udi, thank you so much for your continued help and explanations. I
really appreciate your time!

Kind regards,

Xu

--udi