Re: procmail and mail file locking

2020-05-15 08:36:00

On 5/15/20 8:57 AM, Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:

On 2020-05-15 04:26, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Does procmail default lock the local delivery mail file

Se also https://linux.die.net/man/5/procmailrc
which mentions using lock files.

I am piping the output of a formail command into procmail.  No receipts.

It was that man page that clued me into needing to do something about locking the access to /var/spool/mail/$USER file.

But what is the 'common' lock file name?  The examples in the above mask the file which is the lock file.

Did you consider using IMAP?

What does IMAP have to do with this?  Note I participated in the initial IETF work on IMAP.  For this mail, my mailserver is running Dovecot and I am using Thunderbird via IMAP.

But here I am talking about a 'simple' MDA of cron output into the local store with no MTA on said system.  Why no MTA?  Because...

And Mutt works just fine, and if I SSH into the box, I can run Mutt in the SSH terminal.  Or if I am connected via the serial console.

-- Ruud