Re: procmail and mail file locking

2020-05-18 10:50:19
Greetings, Robert Moskowitz!

I considered maildir, but I cannot be assured that I will catch all
local mail deliveries.

With Maildir, it's actually even harder to miss mails, since it's inherently
non-blocking.

I set up cron to just my script.  That was
'easy'.  Then I was looking at logwatch, and I see that in
/etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf

mailer = "/usr/local/mycron"

I did not add that, some process corrected logwatch automagically for
me.  I am not comfortable if I install some other package that does
outputs to mail that it would get the change and perhaps deliver in the
'default' mbox manner.

Just a little paranoia here.  So I stay with mbox and have to be
concerned with file locking....

…or move to Maildir and forget about locking issues.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...