is sender rewriting really necessary?

2003-10-06 11:21:17
On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 02:08:19PM -0400,
spf-discuss-request(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com wrote:
| Dear Moderator,
|
|   jesus(_at_)ipns(_dot_)com has subscribed to spf-discuss.
| [...]
|
| Jesus Duarte
| UNIX/Windows Systems Administrator (geek)
| http://www.ipns.com/
|
| Ranked in the Top 25 Technology Providers,
| Rated as 4th largest ISP in the state of Oregon
| by the "Oregon Business Journal 2002"

Suppose the 4th largest ISP in the state of Oregon decides to start
publishing SPF records.

Suppose hp.com decides to start respecting SPF.

Suppose pobox.com isn't yet performing sender rewriting.

Mail from ipns.com forwarded through a pobox.com account would be
rejected by hp.com.

The ipns customer complains to IPNS and to Pobox saying because of SPF
he can't email his friend at pobox.com.

The pobox.com customer complains to HP and to Pobox.com saying because
of SPF he's not getting mail.

Tally:

    ISP        # of complaints
    --------------------------
    ipns.com        1
    hp.com          1
    pobox.com       2

Scenario 1:

 IPNS says, oh, sorry, we'll stop publishing SPF.
 HP says, oh, sorry, we'll stop doing SPF checks.

 Pobox says, thanks, guys, how nice of you.

Scenario 2:

 IPNS says, sorry, we have to do this to protect our name.
 HP says, sorry, we have to do this because spam sucks.

 Pobox says, I guess we just have to deal.

Which scenario is more likely?

Now the question is, how will pobox deal: with sender rewriting or
something else?  And if it's something else, we need to come up with it
fast.