updates from Foo Camp

2003-10-14 13:19:27
In Vixie's eyes, the biggest challenge for SPF is getting enough people
to adopt it.

I'm quite sanguine about this: there are a fair number of reasons people
will be moved to publish SPF records: a fear of joe-jobs, a desire to
reduce bogus abuse@ complaints, a desire to protect the domain name as
brand.

And obviously people will perform queries simply because they want to
get less spam.

So at Foo Camp I got to speak with a number of people.

I spoke with Vipul of Vipul's Razor, and we agreed that a distributed
reputation service could be developed without too much fear of the
VeriSign scenario.

I spoke with Esther Dyson briefly and I will send her technical details
once the new draft RFC is ready.

I also spoke to Pravir Chandra from AOL Security.  I know that sounds
scary impressive but he's actually a mean ping-pong player even drunk.
Also he was wearing a Strong Bad hoodie at the time.  Anyway, he said
he'd be willing to pitch it to the AOL team once the configuration stuff
got simplified.

(I've personally observed friends of mine, very skilled technical
people, having difficulties setting up the reversed-IP records.
Obviously it's too complex.  Fortunately, the new MX, A, and PTR
mechanisms described at
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200310/0121.html
should make everything much, much easier.)

In other news, we welcome luminary Eric S. Raymond to the list: among
his many accomplishments is Bogofilter (http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net/)
so I'm glad SPF has appeared on his radar.

cheers
meng