Re: Attacking the throwaway-domain problem

2003-10-14 14:57:44

Eric S. Raymond writes:
Justin Mason <jm(_at_)jmason(_dot_)org>:
A DNSBL of "spammer domains".

Wouldn't this just replicate the known problems with blocklists?

I think the current problems with blocklists are that spammers have found
a way to change addresses very quickly, through use of open proxies.

This, at least, would bring them back to a state whereby their servers
must have a static set of IPs, with a predefined list of domains that
refer to those IPs; in other words, the speed with which they can change
to a new IP-domain combo, as one is blocklisted, is greatly reduced.

I reckon it'll bring us back to the "old days" of BLs -- when they were
much more effective, and spammers much more traceable.

--j.