deny can be softened at MTA discretion

2003-10-20 16:18:10
On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 12:13:01AM +0100, Roy Badami wrote:

| I think this is important enough to go in the spec, though, and
| ideally in all the reference implementations.

it is in the spec:

    2.3.2             Result Values and the Default Modifer

       "Unknown" means MTAs SHOULD proceed as if the sender domain did not
       publish SPF data.  The shorthand for "unknown" is "?".

       "Softdeny" means MTAs SHOULD accept the message, but add a
       Received-SPF header indicating the message failed SPF checks.
       The shorthand for "softdeny" is "-".

       "Deny" means MTAs SHOULD reject the message using a 550 permanent
       failure reply code.  (See RFC2821 section 7.1)  The shorthand for
       "deny" is "!".

       "Allow" indicates that the sender domain has validated the SMTP
       client, and accepts a certain (possibly minimal) responsibility for
       originating or relaying the message.  The shorthand for "allow" is
       "+".

       If none of the mechanisms provide an explicit "deny", "softdeny", or
       "allow" result, the value of the "Default" modifier is used.

You can tell because the "deny" paragraph says "SHOULD" and not "MUST".

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt