Re: .forward issues

2003-10-21 12:04:41
On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 01:08:47PM -0500, Dustin Trammell wrote:
If the mail bounces, it will return to
mailer-daemon(_at_)forwardingserver which should then recognize that it
forwarded the original message (perhaps by looking at the from:
line, a header line that it added when forwarding, etc. and perhaps
cross referencing it's logs) and then forwarding the bounce to the
original sender.

Logically that makes sense to me, seems a lot less kludgey than SRS,
and may require less code change to existing MTA's than implementing
SRS will.

        I like Dustin's idea of adding multiple headers instead of
modifying the addresses via SRS.  If a message bounced, the headers
could be used to backtrace the real path of the message.  The header
could include and HMAC-SHA1 "signature" to prevent spammers from
generating bounces.

        Here's an example of what I'm thinking of (and there may be a
much better way to do this).

        Let's say that a(_at_)a(_dot_)com sends a message to b(_at_)b(_dot_)com
which gets
forwarded to c(_at_)c(_dot_)com(_dot_)

        Here are some of the headers form the first "iteration" of the
message:

------
From: a(_at_)a(_dot_)com
To: b(_at_)b(_dot_)com