Re: .forward issues

2003-10-22 02:31:04
On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:58:29AM +0100, Roy Badami wrote:
|  > I liked someone's previous suggestion that the forwarding mail server
|  > should change the envelope address and NOT the from address.
|
| A transition strategy can't meaningfully say that valid mail will
| bounce until _everyone_ adopts SPF and SRS...  So it needs to address
| the case of legacy forwarders in a way other than saying that the
| receiver SHOULD bounce valid mail (which is essentially what the
| current draft says, according to my reading).

i proposed that adopters set default=softdeny until a sunrise date; that
gives people time to upgrade or workaround the .forward problem.

| I can try and suggest a suitable wording as to what I think the draft
| should say instead, if it still isn't clear to people what I'm getting
| at...

yes, please; think of spf as an opensource protocol; patches welcome.

so after spf has taken the world by storm we'll see RHSBLs and the like
become more important.  maybe it's time to start thinking about what a
Distributed Reputation Protocol might look like, for use in making
judgements about sender domains.

we could call it Judge:Drepp.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt