Re: IPv6 expert wanted

2003-10-26 13:32:09
On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 03:05:06PM -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

| We need someone to represent IPv6 --- I know nothing about it!
|
| Couple questions: what do MX records look like under IPv6?
|
| Should I expect to see
|
|   domain.com IN MX ipv4.mx.domain.com
|   domain.com IN MX ipv6.mx.domain.com
|
|   ipv4.mx    IN A     192.0.2.1
|   ipv6.mx    IN AAAA  f:o:o:b:a:r:b:a:z:q:u:u:x or whatever?

I take it you meant:

$ORIGIN domain.com.
@           IN MX    1 ipv4.mx
@           IN MX    2 ipv6.mx
ipv4.mx     IN A     192.0.2.1
ipv6.mx     IN AAAA  f:o:o:b:a:r:b:a or whatever?

Or spelled out:

domain.com.         IN MX    1 ipv4.mx.domain.com.
domain.com.         IN MX    2 ipv6.mx.domain.com.
ipv4.mx.domain.com. IN A     192.0.2.1
ipv6.mx.domain.com. IN AAAA  f:o:o:b:a:r:b:a or whatever?

Alternatively, you could have one host name with both A and AAAA RRs:

$ORIGIN domain.com.
@          IN MX    1 mx
mx         IN A     192.0.2.1
mx         IN AAAA  f:o:o:b:a:r:b:a or whatever?

| Since we have an "a" mechanism, shouldn't we also have an "aaaa"
| mechanism?

Unless you can overload them together or need convenient distinction,
then yes, you would need "aaaa".  If you have an IP address in TXT and
it looks like IPv4, you can assume it is, and if it looks like IPv6,
you can assume it is (unless IPv4 mapped in IPv6).  If it is separated
by at least one ":" then it can't be IPv4 (but you can express IPv4
mapped in IPv6 like "::ffff:192.0.2.1").  If you have a host name which
has both A and AAAA records, which would you use?  In cases where "all
addresses" applies, that's easy (just as if it had more than one A record).

| Surely we don't want to have the RFC go through and then three years
| down the road suddenly all the IPv6 people hate us.

Absolutely not.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |