"pi" provides draft-01 compatibility

2003-10-26 18:46:05
On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 01:31:21AM +0000, Jasper Wallace wrote:

| I prefered the version 1 draft beacause of it's simplicity, and you could
| get a result in a fixed number of lookup (vs. the posability of having to
| do recusrive lookups[3]).
|
| One other advantage of the _smtp_client.example.com approach is that you
| could turn query logging on in your dns servers for the _smtp_client domain.
|
| This is simpler to implement than the report option, tho you would lose
| lose sender and recipient logging as part of the package.
|
| (If you got the emails you could grep the received headers for the ip that
| was queried in the SPF lookup, but then you might not get the emails).
|
| With the 02-draft + report extention, if the remote mta dosn't suport the
| report option you get nothing (beacause you don't know which sending host is
| being tested), with this you at least get something.

This is all true.

But you can get all the above benefits by saying

  domain.com IN TXT "v=spf1 pi default=deny"

And then you get query logging and whatever else you want.

You just have to update

   4.3.2.1.in-addr._smtp_client.domain.com IN TXT "SPF=allow"

   4.3.2.1.in-addr._spf.domain.com IN A 127.0.0.2

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt