Re: Waving a flag for version 1

2003-10-27 13:34:07
On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 01:31:21AM +0000, Jasper Wallace wrote:

| a) underscores
|
|       - fine, but _smtp_client *isn't* a host, and so it's legal, but if
| people really care that much then hyphens are fine by me.

My concern is DNS servers that don't allow characters that are not valid for
host names.  OTOH, if I can look up some arbitrary string and get an A record
for it, I should be able to use it as a host name if the protocol it came from
would support it (e.g. a web URL).

| b) wildcards & DNSSEC
|
|       - Do we really need wildcards? with a vairation on draft-01:

Other than for things like zone transfers, wild cards are a synthesis.  You'll
get the answer the domain owner wants to send.  Wild cards are a tool to that
end at the domain server.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |