more interesting reading: the IETF process

2003-11-03 22:16:39
The ASRG unification effort has evolved in a number of interesting
directions; I don't want to say more than I should, but in one plausible
future the IETF may charter an anti-spam working group to serve as an
official forum for further development of our Internet-Draft into an RFC.

I am quite proud of the progress we've made on this mailing list;
criticism has been constructive, people have taken the initiative to
make improvements happen, and the process of free and frank dialogue has
worked as it should.  In this forum we have achieved both rough
consensus and running code, and that is something not every IETG WG can
say for itself.  We can congratulate ourselves for essentially
implementing the IETF RFC-development process without formal guidance
from the IETF.  Good work, everyone!

Now, there are pros and cons to moving under the IETF umbrella.  We
should consider them carefully, because we still can submit the SPF
draft independently to the RFC Editor, bypassing the working-group
process.  I like to think of myself as a respecter of procedure, and
because of this I have readily submitted SPF to the ASRG unification
process; but even though SPF has been chosen as the basis for the
combined ASRG draft, there are good reasons we may still want to make an
independent submission.  The chiefest reason is that WG process takes
time, and we have already, on our own, climbed far up the curve.  If the
matter at hand were different, this might not be worth much, but every
day spam costs us all hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, and I feel
a great sense of urgency.  The IETF may not be able to give its blessing
in a reasonable amount of time.  The next meeting after Minneapolis will
be in Seoul, in March.

If we go ahead with the IETF, we should keep a number of considerations
in mind.  Fellow contributors to the draft may find these documents
illuminating:

  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3160.txt
  http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt
  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt

Last, and most interestingly, I stumbled across this.

  http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/problem-charter.html
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-problem-issue-statement-04.txt
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-problem-process-03.txt

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt