Re: TXT Records

2003-11-18 15:21:01
This could be handled in the following way:

1 Add a rule to SPF that says that in the event of no SPF record being found on a domain, then try the _spf subdomain. (There was talk at one stage of always going to the _spf subdomain).

2 For budget DNS providers, let customers use CNAME to get from _spf.domain1.com to _spf.maindomain.com where maindomain.com is hosted on an enlightened provider like zoneedit.

When the SPF bandwagon starts to roll, and the small DNS providers start to find that people are moving away from them due to their lack of TXT records, then they will start to support them.

Philip

Marc wrote:

2) Can a means be developed of redirecting one domain to another (equivalent
to the current 'redirect=...' modifier) that does not use TXT records?  My
reasoning for this is that I believe that there are a lot of domain owners
that cannot conform to the TXT requirement for one reason or another.  For
example, I know many 'hobbyists' (people who run their own domains 'for
fun', such as myself) and tightly-run businesses that cannot run their own
DNS and are unwilling/unable to pay for a full-featured DNS provider that
supports TXT DNS records.  I have done an informal survey of DNS providers,
and of the seven that are very cheap or free (including those provided by
registrars), only one allowed TXT records.  That one was ZoneEdit.com and
they only allow a user five free DNS zones.  My company has over 20 domains,
one of which is our main domain.  The other 19 are for brand protection and
marketing purposes.  I would like to be able to support SPF with these
domains, but I'm not about to pay to have the DNS hosted, when all these
domains do is point to our main domain (for all purposes--www, mx, spf,
etc).

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.6.txt