Re: TXT Records

2003-11-20 09:17:30
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Philip Gladstone wrote:

2   For budget DNS providers, let customers use CNAME to get from
_spf.domain1.com   to _spf.maindomain.com   where maindomain.com is
hosted on an enlightened provider like zoneedit.

Appoligies to Marc, i've been sitting on this for a while:

http://pointless.net/~jasper/spf/

As you can see, if a web based dns provider dosn't allow TXT records, they
don't allow underscores either.

If we do end up with a spf specific domain name it will have to also be a
valid domain name.

The best i can come up with is 'spf-' and a string of random letters,
interspaced with '-' - it's possible that someone is stashing binary data in
domain names (random crypto keys?), but if they are they will be packing the
info as densely as possible, so using '-' will (hopefully) avoid clashes.

So i propose: 'spf-e-d-a-1-e-5-f-u' as the spf label, if we decide we need
one.

When the SPF bandwagon starts to roll, and the small DNS providers start
to find that people are moving away from them due to their lack of TXT
records, then they will start to support them.

Hopefully, yes.

--
[http://pointless.net/]                                   [0x2ECA0975]

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.6.txt