RE: New SPF records added to my domain

2003-12-09 21:17:31
That's too easy! I should have thought of that, but I'm too damned excited!
woohoo! Thanks Jasper! I am on my way to killing TONS of spam!! hahaha DIE
SPAMMER SCUM!! Now my mom won't see your p3nis enlargement emails!

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of Jasper
Wallace
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 8:10 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] New SPF records added to my domain

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 spf-discuss(_at_)borgmeyer(_dot_)com wrote:

Hello everyone! I got excited when I first heard about SPF.
It's just what
the doctor ordered (my anti-spam doctor)! I have added
records for my home
domain. I use Netsol DNS manager to manage my domains. I
have attached a
screen-shot of DNS manager. I hope this is setup correctly.
It looks a
little confusing since the first record has no domain
specified, but when I
ADDED the record it does show the base domain
"borgmeyer.com" in that field.
It just doesn't show up once it's been committed. Does
everything look good?
How can this be tested? I haven't yet installed an
SPF-aware component on my
mail-server so I can't personally do any tests yet...

If you have access to nslookup or dig then you can just check
to see if the
TXT record exists:

jasper(_at_)jellycat:~/[0]> dig txt borgmeyer.com
; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> txt borgmeyer.com
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 4
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      borgmeyer.com, type = TXT, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
borgmeyer.com.          1h59m20s IN TXT  "v=spf1 mx -all"

and it does, so it's working:

jasper(_at_)jellycat:~/develop/spf/libspf/[0]> ./spf borgmeyer.com
66.128.103.180
spf: starting query for 'borgmeyer.com', mode: AF_INET, client ip
66.128.103.180
about to rev: 66.128.103.180
dst: 180.103.128.66
need to search 180.103.128.66.in-addr.arpa. for ptr records that match
ptr res: sc01-180.cbnstl.net
found: 66.128.103.180
sc01-180.cbnstl.net is ok!
### Testing 'v=spf1 mx -all'
need to search borgmeyer.com for MX records that match
need to search morpheus.borgmeyer.com for A records that match
found: 66.128.103.180
allowed: accept the mail!

jasper(_at_)jellycat:~/develop/spf/libspf/[0]> ./spf borgmeyer.com 1.2.3.4
spf: starting query for 'borgmeyer.com', mode: AF_INET,
client ip 1.2.3.4
about to rev: 1.2.3.4
dst: 4.3.2.1
need to search 4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa. for ptr records that match
host '4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.', not found
### Testing 'v=spf1 mx -all'
need to search borgmeyer.com for MX records that match
need to search morpheus.borgmeyer.com for A records that match
found: 66.128.103.180
deny: 550 the email

(I need to finish my code and put it up somewhere).

--
[http://pointless.net/]                                   [0x2ECA0975]

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.txt