Re: How to reach critical mass

2003-12-12 00:01:19
So, like, the other day wayne mumbled:

I've been thinking about what the best way for SPF to reach critical
mass is.  There clearly is a chicken and egg problem with adding SPF
records being useless unless they are checked, and checking for SPF
records is useless unless they exist.

OK.  So you are suggesting marketing opportunities.

Let's summarize in condensed form.  Please feel free to extend.
What we're after here is a list of sympathetic friends, adopters,
hackers, 'net influencers, leverage, etc.  Please feel free to
add your favorites to this list.  Collect them all!

We might also be after two distinct lists here: Those who should
publish SPF records, and those who should use SPF records.

Money segments:
    - ebay, paypal
    - brokerage firms, citbank
    - Banks (eg, Bank Of America)
    - The Motley Fool

Major Mail Farms and List Houses:
    - Yahoo
    - Hotmail/MSN
    - BestWeb

Major ISPs:
    - Comcast
    - Time Warner
    - AOL
    - Clueless & Witless
    - rr

Small Sites and Institutions:
    - Domains that are currently hijack/joe-job targets
    - Universities
    - Government sites

Anti-Spam Lists/Sites:
    - SPAM-L
    - CAUCE
    - Spam Tools
    - DNSRBL sites, ORDB, Spamhaus, etc
    - Confused Challenge/Response creators
    - People from the SPF lists!

MTA/MUA Lists:
    - Exim, Sendmail, Postfix, qmail

Major Geek Shops:
    - Slash Rot
    - Linux Hauses

News centers:
    - CNN, TechTalk, etc

Ideas?

Identifying and priortizing early adopters is a good start.
What are we going to _do_ about them now?  I might recommend
that we work a little as a group to flesh out the list and
prioritize it.  We should elect Chief Advocates (Hi esr! :-)
for some of the critical or sensitive places.  We should
methodically identify, call and send mail to key idividuals
and postmasters at various sites.  We should make an effort
to get Slashdotted when the time is right.

Other ideas?  Someone care to add or prioritize?

jdl

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.3.txt